- ½ lb Ground beef
- ½ lb Ground lamb
- 6 oz Salted herring
- 1 quart milk
- ½ cup Sour cream
- 3 Eggs separated
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 3 Potatoes peeled & boiled
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese grated fine
- 2 tablespoons Bread crumb
- Put milk into a bowl and soak the herring in it overnight. Remove the and pat dry being sure to remove any and all bones.
- Coarsely chop the herring. Fry the onions in 2 tbps of butter until golden.
- Pan-fry the ground meats separately and place into a food processor/blender. Add the onion, herring, & potatoes. Chop/blend until a smooth mixture is formed.
- Stir in the sour cream & egg yolks then add the spices. Beat the egg whites until they are stiff but not dry. P
- reheat the oven to 400F-degrees & grease a 2 qt. baking dish.
- Fold in the egg whites at this point and turn the mixture into the greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese, dot with the remaining butter, & then bake for 40 minutes.
- Serve hot.