If you would like to order an item from another library, fill out the email form below.
Frequently asked questions:
What is interlibrary loan?
If the Stratford Library does not own the item you are looking for, we will try to borrow it from another library on your behalf. We obtain material from libraries throughout Connecticut and the U. S. This service is only available to Stratford residents.
- Request books, photocopies of magazine articles, and microfilm.
- We will try to obtain CDs, audio books and DVDs, but a number of lending libraries do not interlibrary loan these items. However, your current Stratford Library card may be used to borrow items in person at any public library in Connecticut.
- Items published in the last 6 months are not available through ILL. Click here to place a purchase request for newer titles.
- We can assist you locating items at Connecticut public libraries. Please visit, or call Adult Services at 203-385-4164.
How do I place a request for interlibrary loan?
If you would like to order an item from another library, fill out the email request form above. Most ILL items arrive within 10 -14 days of ordering. You will be contacted once the item is available for pickup here at the library.
Is there a fee for interlibrary loan service?
Interlibrary loan service is usually free. Occasionally, the lending library will charge a fee. If we cannot obtain your items free of charge, you will be contacted prior to ordering.
How long may I keep an item borrowed through ILL?
- The due date is set by the lending institution, and can vary from one week to one month.
- ILL materials may be renewed once by calling 203-385-4164.
- All items borrowed through ILL must be returned directly to Stratford Library. Do not return items to the lending library.
What about magazine articles?
A request for a magazine article is usually filled with a printout of the article. Printouts are yours to keep.