Meeting Room Policy and Guidelines
The Stratford Library offers three meeting rooms for public use The Lovell Room, located on the main level, features auditorium style seating accommodating up to 80 people. Tables, a podium and multi-media equipment are available. The Board Room is situated in the library’s lower level and is arranged in meeting room style: oak tables and chairs with seating for approximately 20-25 people. The Conference Room, adjacent to the Board Room features a single, round table and seating for 4 people. The Board and Conference Rooms may be booked in tandem for use by a single group. The Lovell and Conference Rooms have adjacent kitchens. All rooms are accessible for persons with disabilities.
Library functions have first priority for use of the meeting rooms and the Library reserves the right to preempt non-library use. Programs may be sponsored or cosponsored by the Library in order to accomplish its mission and to provide educational, informational and recreational opportunities for the community. When the rooms are not needed for Library activities, nonprofit and for profit organizations serving the Stratford community may use the meeting rooms for educational, civic and/or cultural programs. No private individual use of the meeting rooms is permitted.
The Stratford Library, the Board of Trustees of the Stratford Library, the Town of Stratford, the Director, employees and volunteers assume no responsibility for loss, theft, or damage of any property of any group or individual using the Library’s meeting rooms or kitchen facilities, and in addition, assume no responsibility for the personal injury (including death) of any individual using the meeting rooms or kitchens.
The Public Relations & Programming Office (203-385-4162) makes all advance reservations for meeting room use. Requests for use of a meeting room must be made by completing an application. Applications must be signed by an individual at least eighteen (18) years of age. Rooms are NOT available for use on a regular continuing basis by any organization unless by prior consent of the Library. The group using the meeting room must assign one person responsible for the proper use of the room in accordance with the Library’s guidelines. Rooms are available on a first come, first served basis and may be reserved no more than three (3) months in advance.
No other rooms in the Library are available for public use, unless by prior consent of the Library.
- The Library reserves the right to deny requests for use of the meeting rooms, or cancel a reservation for the use of either of the meeting rooms, when attendance of over 80 in the Lovell Room, over 25 in the Board Room or over 4 in the Conference Room can reasonably be expected.
- Use of the Library’s meeting rooms is available free to nonprofit organizations during the hours the Library is open to the public. Before or after hours use is available at a charge of $25 per hour or any part of an hour when an event is scheduled to end after the Library has closed for the day or when an event is scheduled to begin prior to opening. No meeting may begin earlier than 7 AM or end later than 10 PM. All arrangements and full payment of charges for before or after hours use must be made in advance of the meeting date. If the Library cancels the room reservation due to an emergency or for any other reason, any payment in advance will be refunded. There will be a $20 fee for checks returned due to insufficientfunds.
- Use of the Library’s meeting rooms is available to for profit organizations during the hours the Library is open to the public according to the following fee schedule: $50 per hour or for any part of an hour for the Lovell Room; $50 per hour or any part of an hour for the Board Room or Conference Room. There is a two hour minimum charge. Before or after hours use of meeting rooms is available at a charge of $50 per hour or any part of an hour when an event is scheduled to end after the Library has closed for the day or when an event is scheduled to begin prior to opening. No meeting may begin earlier than 7 AM or end later than 10 PM. All arrangements and full payment of charges for meeting room use must be made in advance of the meeting date. If the Library cancels the room reservation due to an emergency or for any other reason, any payment in advance will be refunded. There will be a $20 fee for checks returned due to insufficientfunds.
- A refundable security deposit is required of all users: $100 per use for the Board Room or Conference Room; $200 per use for the Lovell Room. Security deposits will be returned to the user after the Room has been inspected by the Library.
- All publicity for non-library sponsored events is the responsibility of the group using the room.
- Use of Library equipment (coffee maker, audio/visual equipment, etc. ) is free and subject to availability. The Library does not provide coffee or tea service, paper goods or supplies. Equipment must be reserved in advance at the time of application.
- Direct sale of goods or services is not permitted.
- Smoking and vaping are prohibited anywhere in the Library.
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited anywhere in theLibrary.
- The organization using the meeting room is responsible for supervising the meeting and ensuring that meeting attendees adhere to Library guidelines, procedures and policies. Meetings that interfere with normal Library use will not be permitted. Users must leave rooms in the condition in which they were found. Organizations are liable for any damages to Library property.
- If refreshments are to be served, the user is responsible for providing all food products, utensils, dishes, napkins, etc. and for clean-up and removal of all items. The Library must know in advance what is to be served and can accept or reject the menu.
- Rooms must be vacated no later than 10 pm for evening rentals. Groups using the Lovell Room should use the side exit doors in that room.
- Granting use of the Library’s facilities does not imply endorsement by the Library of the group, the meeting, or the content of the meeting.
- Applications may be rejected and previously granted permission may be withdrawn for violation of Library rules or conduct inconsistent with room policies and Library rules and regulations.
- All rental agreements are subject to Stratford Library Board of Trustees approval.
- Decorations, scenery, and signs are prohibited unless prior approval has been received from the Library. Items may not be taped or tacked to walls, woodwork, doors, pillars, etc. The use of candles, flammable liquid, and the fireplaces is prohibited.
- All federal, state and local ordinances, as well as the regulations and Codes of the Police, Fire and Fire Marshall Departments relating to public assemblies, must be strictly obeyed.
- Applying organizations are held responsible for the preservation of order by those in attendance. Police or fire personnel, when deemed necessary by the Library, will be arranged by the Library and must be paid for by the applying organization.
- The room must be cleaned and vacated by the agreed upon time.
Written 03/02; Reviewed 07/03; 09/06 Revised 8/12, 11/13, 12/13, 5/18