Book Club Kits
Thinking about starting a book club? Looking for new titles for your existing club? Is it your turn to moderate and need help finding suitable discussion questions? The Stratford Library has just the service for you – Book Club Kits! This collection was started to help the many book clubs in the area have a great place to start browsing for books with good discussion potential.
- Kits contain 3-8 print copies per title to get your group started, discussion questions, and other support materials, such as author biographies and published reviews. Additional copies and formats can be requested.
- Kits may be checked out for 6 weeks.
- Kits can be reserved at the Reference Desk. Or contact us at 203.385.4164 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
- List of current titles offered. Check back as the collection continues to grow.
For recommendations or more information, ask a staff member for assistance – we love to talk about books!
Interlibrary Loans for Book Clubs
If you don’t see what you are looking for, we can still help! We can facilitate getting titles from other libraries for your book club at your request. Simply fill out this form and a staff person will contact you about your request.
The library generally needs 6 – 8 weeks to obtain books from other libraries for this service. If you have a tighter time frame, we still may be able to get the materials you need, so please fill out the form linked above.
Stratford Library Book Clubs and Discussion Groups
Looking to join a book club? Try one of the Stratford Library’s book discussion groups, new members are always welcomed!
Books Over Coffee
Library staffer Linda hosts this monthly book discussion program that has been a popular staple at the library for over 30 years. Current bestsellers and notable authors mark the selections chosen for discussion. All “Books Over Coffee” titles are available at the Checkout Desk. *Meets the last Wednesday of the month from Noon to 1:00 pm.
Books on Tap
Stratford librarian Sarah hosts this book discussion group to talk about offbeat books and enjoy local brews. We’ll meet one Tuesday evening a month at the Oar and Oak restaurant located at 2385 Main St, Stratford, CT. We will meet at 7:00pm and then start our discussion at 7:30pm. All “Books on Tap” titles are available at the Checkout Desk.
Monday Morning Buzz
Join us for a new type of book club with a twist! No assigned books, just lively conversation led by library staff about the latest titles and trends in books, movies and more with input from you. Older books, newer shows, or a movie that surprised you—let the group know where you stand on the latest from the publishers and producers. Share what you’re reading and watching and hear recommendations from others! *Meets the first Monday of the month at 11:00 am.
Book Club Toolbox:
Here are a few online book club resources to help start and run a book group, get book recommendations and helpful reading guides, and more:
- Five Steps to Starting a Book Club (PenguinRandomHouse.com)
- How to Start a Book Club – 10 Step Guide (litlovers.com)
- How to Structure Your Meetings (ILoveLibraries.org)
- 10 Tips for Hosting a Digital Book Club (bustle.com)
Recommended for online book groups:
Hoopla Book Club Hub – Selection of online ebooks and audiobooks, with every title available instantly, with no holds, no waiting, and no late fees. (Stratford Library card required)
More . . .
- Book Club Check-Up (bookbrowse.com)
- 10 Ways to Make Book Clubs More Fun (bustle.com)
- Six Reasons to Join a Book Club (stratfordwritersfestival.com – Ontario, Canada)