Gefilte Fish II
- 6 lbs whole carp
- 3 lbs pike
- 1,5 lbs whitefish bluefish, or any firm non-fatty white fish
- 5 lbs onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large beetroot
- 3 slices whole wheat bread or one roll alternatively, 1 cup matzo meal, soaked in water
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Ground allspice to taste
- Put two onions aside. Chop the rest of the onions, sauté until light golden and creamy consistency.
- Slice one of the remaining onions into circles. Peel and slice carrot and beetroot, peel garlic cloves, quarter remaining onion. Soak bread.
- Spread heaping tablespoon of sautéed onions on the bottom of fish pot. Cover with sliced onion, carrot, and beetroot. Put aside.
- Filet all fish, leaving carp head, spine, and skin intact. Grind fish flesh twice, adding sautéed onions, garlic cloves, and soaked bread.
- Whisk eggs, add to ground fish, season with salt and pepper. Kneed by hand. Sculpture filling along the spine inside and out, cover with skin on both sides. Fill the head as well.
- Place into pot. Use remaining filling to fashion patties. Place patties on top of fish to weigh skin down. Place heads and skin of smaller fish into the pot. Cover with water.
- Bring to boil, add allspice, reduce to simmering. Simmer and baste until patties pop off, then simmer for additional 20 – 30 minutes, until dark golden. Add water, if necessary.
- Remove from heat, let cool. Carefully remove fish, head, and patties. Garnish with carrots and beets. Serve with horseradish.
- Separate and refrigerate fish jelly, if desired. Mash vegetables and liquid with a spoon through a colander. Bring to boil, add potatoes, cook till very soft. Serve hot to accompany fish.