Green Sorrel Borscht
- 10 cups veal or chicken stock
- big heap of fresh sorrel cut into strips
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 large potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 hard boiled eggs quartered lengthwise
- 2 tbsp minced cilantro
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream
- Sauté onions in oil and butter until deep golden in color, about 15 minutes.
- Bring stock to a simmer and add potatoes.
- Simmer, covered, until the potatoes are cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon, mash them coarsely (they should still be in tiny little pieces, not pureed), and return to the stock.
- Add onions. Adjust salt and pepper. When the stock comes to a simmer once more, add the sorrel, let simmer for 3 minutes, then take off heat, stir in cilantro, and serve immediately. (Keep in mind that sorrel overcooks very quickly).
- Place one or two egg quarters in each bowl before pouring the soup. Serve with sour cream on the side.