Our annual Associates appeal is underway. This letter was sent out to library users asking them to support the work the library is doing. Tossed the envelope? You can donate securely online at http://stratfordlibrary.org/support/
What a year this has been! As Stratford Library heads into our 125th year, we are reflecting on all of the ways we have pivoted to meet your needs. We have been providing services for you, your friends and neighbors; looking for ways to make life easier, particularly for those hardest hit during the pandemic. We’ve expanded our resources for jobseekers, created toolkits for parents to help their children cope with the pandemic, opened our doors to provide access to library collections, re-established computer services for those needing to access email, unemployment benefits, the DMV and even the Census. We are grateful to our patrons for your continued support and we hope that if you need these services, we can support you. Thanks to our donors, we continue to provide opportunities for people to learn, create, and share, even in the midst of a pandemic!
With help from people like you, during quarantine, the Stratford Library successfully:
- Launched storytimes online so children and caregivers could enjoy fun, scheduled activities.
- Provided reference services via email, phone, and chat to keep our patrons connected until it was safe to open our doors again.
- Offered Library Take-Out service to provide access to books and DVDs in a safe, contact-free way.
- Expanded our collection of downloadable books, music, magazines, and movies, providing 24/7 access from the comfort and safety of home.
- Hosted popular online programs for all ages including preschool storytimes, book discussions, trivia nights, science activities, live music, scavenger hunts, play readings, and American Sign Language.
- Expanded online services to help Stratford residents file for unemployment, apply for new jobs, learn new skills, and pass the time safely.
All of these services, activities, collections, and opportunities at the Stratford Library are free to use, but they aren’t free to produce. You may be aware that the Library is not completely funded by the Town of Stratford, which is the reason we need your donation. In fact, most of the Library’s programming, books, online resources and other materials are supported through fundraising. During this challenging time, your support is more important than ever.
A gift to the Library in memory or in honor of someone is a great way to recognize the special people in your life. We hope you will join the Stratford Library Associates. To become a member, send your contribution today. If you prefer, donate securely online at http://stratfordlibrary.org/support/
Michael J. Aloi
Library Board President
PDF of Stratford Library’s 2020 Associates Letter