Each year Americans observe National Hispanic Heritage Month, from September 15 to October 15, by celebrating the histories, cultures, and contributions of American citizens whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America. This year’s Hispanic Heritage Month national theme is:
PROSPERITY, POWER, AND PROGRESS: recognizing the significant achievements
of the Hispanic community in the economic and political industries.
The observation started in 1968 as Hispanic Heritage Week under President Lyndon Johnson and was expanded by President Ronald Reagan in 1988 to cover a 30-day period starting on September 15 and ending on October 15. It was enacted into law on August 17, 1988, on the approval of Public Law 100-402.
The day of September 15 is significant because it is the anniversary of independence for Latin American countries Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua. In addition, Mexico and Chile celebrate their independence days on September 16 and September18, respectively. Also, Columbus Day or Día de la Raza, which is October 12, falls within this 30 day period.
- Key facts about U.S. Latinos
- Origins & Facts from the History Channel
- Smithsonian National Museum of the American Latino
Hispanic Heritage Essay Contest
Optimum and TelevisaUnivision invite middle and high school students to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month.
Hispanic Heritage Month: Celebrating Diversity
CTLatino New.com – The Online news source of Connecticut’s Latinos
Latino Fest 2023 – 1st Annual BRIDGEPORT Pop-Up
Saturday, September 16, 2023 (12PM – 6PM)
McLevy Green Park, 102 Bank St. Bridgeport
A multi-cultural celebration in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month
- 8 Ways to Celebrate National Hispanic Month with Kids
- 10 Great Latinx Films To Watch To Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month
- Listen to a podcast – Hispanic Heritage Month: Advancing la Cultura
- National Women’s History Museum celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month
- 66 New Books to Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month from Goodreads
Stratford Library suggested reading: