The mission of the Stratford Library is to empower and enrich our diverse community by providing access to innovative services, information, and ideas.
All patrons are expected to exercise good judgment and practice common courtesy. In order to maintain an atmosphere that supports our mission, the Library Board of Trustees has established the following rules of behavior:
- QUIET: Intermittent conversation, at a low level, is permitted but must not disturb others. The Lower Level is maintained as a quiet study space. Cell phone conversations are limited to the entryway vestibules.
- SIZE OF GROUPS: There is a limit of four persons per table and one person per chair.
- ATTIRE: Proper attire, including shoes and shirts, is required.
- SAFETY: The Library does not permit articles which represent a safety or fire hazard. Bicycles, skateboards and similar vehicles are not permitted in the building, including vestibules. Children under age 12 must be accompanied by a responsible adult, as per state law.
- PACKAGES: The Library reserves the right to open and inspect any packages, briefcases, etc. at any time while on the premises.
The following are prohibited:
- Roaming, running, disturbing others & unnecessary use of elevators.
- Smoking (including e-cigarettes), beverages without lids and foods with strong odors.
- Pets (except service animals).
- Littering or defacing of property.
- Disorderly actions, which include but is not limited to drunkenness, and which interfere with the functioning and/or purpose of the Library.
- Verbal or physical abuse toward any individual(s).
- Skateboarding, bicycling, rollerblading and roller-skating, especially at entryways.
Failure to comply with a reasonable, official request to follow this Code of Conduct constitutes a violation of the rules. Individuals who have been asked to comply with the Code of Conduct and fail to do so will be asked to leave the premises. If necessary, the Stratford Police will be called to enforce the Code of Conduct.
Violation of this Code of Conduct may result in suspension of library privileges.
Reviewed 7/03; 9/06 Revised 8/12, 12/13, 7/14, 7/17