As part of its educational mission, the Stratford Library permits tutors to work with students on the premises during regular Library hours. The Library does not sponsor, recommend, or assume liability or responsibility for the work and/or activities of tutors who use available library space. All arrangements must be made between the tutor, student and/or parents or guardians.
Tutors are expected to observe the following guidelines when tutoring in the Library:
- Limited seating and table space are available on a first-come, first-served basis and must be shared with other Library patrons. Tutors have no authority to deny Library access to any person.
- The Library reserves the right to limit tutoring activities if space resources are monopolized or activities interfere with Library operations Library programs, class visits, and all other designated Library-sponsored activities and projects supersede tutoring sessions. Tutors and their students are responsible for finding alternative meeting spaces when desired spaces are full. Upon request, staff will furnish a list of upcoming program dates so tutors can plan accordingly.
- The Lower Level is our quiet area and therefore, not available to tutors at any time.
- Study rooms are available for use on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations are made at the Reference Desk. Study rooms can accommodate one (1) tutor and one (1) student at a time. Reservations cannot exceed three (3) hours in a given day and a library card must be left at the Reference Desk while the room is in use. Please see reverse for the Study Room Guidelines and Procedures.
- Tutor belongings or use of space should not interfere with easy access through the library by other library users. The Library is a public space; tutors and students are responsible for keeping track of personal items.
- Library staff members are not responsible for scheduling, monitoring or supervising tutors’ appointments with students. Library phones may not be used to make or cancel appointments. Library staff is not available to relay messages to tutors and/or students.
- It is recommended that tutors check the Library’s hours of operation and program schedules before making appointments with students.
- Tutors and their students are required to follow the Library’s Code of Conduct. Conversations or instruction should not be so loud that other library users are distracted.
- Students must be under the tutor’s supervision at all times. Tutors are responsible for the behavior of their students.
- Tutors and students are expected to provide their own materials/supplies, such as paper, pens, pencils, calculators, rulers, markers, food, and bottled water.
- The Library’s photocopier and computer printers are available with a per page printing charge which must be paid at the time of use. Black and white copies are 15¢ a page; color copies are 50¢ a page.
- Tutors may use Library materials (i.e. library books), and Library computers in accordance with Library policies. The adult computer area is not available for elementary/junior high/high school students and their tutors at any time.
- Tutors may advertise services only on the Library’s Education News bulletin board located on the Lower Level. Tutors should submit their flyer(s) to a library staff member for approval. Tutors may not solicit library patrons in the Library.