Crinkle Tops Molasses Cookies by Jim Duffy
This is a recipe from Jim Duffy, a former colleague at the Stratford Library who passed away far too soon.
- ¾ cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 4 tablespoons dark molasses
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 level teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup raisins optional
- Cream together shortening, sugar and egg until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix.
- Form into walnut-sized balls and roll them in granulated sugar before placing them on an un-greased cookie sheet.
- Allow room for the cookie to spread.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes at 350 degrees, being careful not to overbake. (They will not be chewy if overbaked.)