I originally saw this recipe on TV but have changed it a bit and it is now one of our favorite breakfast treats.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup plus 1 TBSP granulated sugar
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 orange grated
- 1 stick plus size TBSP butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a mini muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- Whisk 3 tablespoons of the sugar, the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, vanilla, orange zest, 2 tablespoons of the melted butter and the egg until just combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.
- Fill a madeline tin with batter, or use a mini muffin tray and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool slightly and then remove from the pan.
- Pour the remaining 1 stick melted butter in a small bowl and, in a separate medium bowl, mix together the remaining 1 cup sugar and the cinnamon.
- Brush the tops with the melted butter and roll in the cinnamon sugar. Serve warm.