- 1 large eggplant peeled and sliced into 1/3 inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 3 large tomatoes thinly sliced
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups sour cream
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- paprika to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine the lemon juice and water. Place the eggplant slices into the lemon water to soak while you bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Drain and rinse the eggplant slices, then place them into the boiling water. Cook for 8 minutes, or until barely tender. Drain.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 2 quart casserole dish. Layer the eggplant slices, tomatoes and onion in the dish, sprinkling each layer with a little flour as you go. In a medium bowl, stir together the sour cream, garlic, salt and pepper. Spread this over the top of the casserole. Sprinkle generously with paprika.
- Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top is nicely browned and there is a bubbly sauce.