Russian Eggplant Caviar
- 2 large eggplants peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place eggplants in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain in a colander; press out excess water with the back of a large spoon.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add green bell pepper; cook and stir until softened, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir drained eggplant into the skillet. Add tomato sauce, salt, and pepper; cook, mashing eggplant with the back of the spoon, until flavors combine and tomato sauce darkens, about 30 minutes.