Shish Kebab (Shashlyk)
- 6 lb lamb chuck
- 1 lb onion
- bay leaf
- pepper peas
- white table wine
- Cut meat into large cubes 5x3x2 cm.
- Peel onion and dice it finely. Put in a large pan a layer of meat, cover with onion, and add 2 bay leaves, 5 pepper peas, sprinkle salt. Repeat these layers until meat is out.
- Top with onion. Pour over a cup of cold water. Cover and put a weight on the top for 4-5 hours.
- Thread lamb onto flat metal skewers tightly.
- Put skewers over well-heated brazier with charcoals (the distance between meat and coals is about 12-13 cm). The skewers must lie very tightly.
- Grill until golden but still juicy.
- Sprinkle with wine or water if it is too hot during grilling.
A real shashlyk must not be marinated in acid liquids.