Soft Molasses Cookies
This is a Christmas cookie recipe from my Great Aunt Emily. We know it's a really old recipe, because it originally called for lard!
- 1 cup shortening originally lard , melted
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 5 cups flour
- Sift together flour, salt, ginger, cinnamon and baking soda.
- Combine melted shortening (or lard), hot water, molasses and sugar.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until blended
- Cover and refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour.
- Roll out 1/4 "" thick slices on a floured surface and cut with cookie cutters.
- Place on greased pan or parchment paper and bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 mins.
Careful not to overbake!