Smith Family Favorite Pumpkin Bread
I don't know the origin of this recipe but my mom would make it every Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's a family favorite that my sisters and I continue making every year for our own families."
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 can pumpkin
- ⅔ cups water
- 3.5 cups flour
- 2 tsps baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsps salt
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- Cream sugar and oil together. Add eggs and pumpkin. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture, alternating with water, mixing in between.
- Pour into two well greased and floured 9x5 loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour until the middle is fully baked (time seems to vary so I start checking it around 45 minutes).
- Let stand for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool.
- Makes 2 loaves