The Earth’s crust is separated into extremely large tectonic plates which float atop molten rock called magma. These plates move slowly every day, so slowly that people cannot feel the movement. Mountains are formed all over the world at points where the plates meet, including beneath oceans.
Mountains usually have steep, sloping sides. The highest point is called the “peak” or the “summit”. Some mountains have sharp ridges, while others are more rounded. Some mountains start off with sharp ridges, but then get worn down over millions of years by erosion.
Most geologists agree that to be classified as a “mountain”, the landform must rise at least 1,000 feet above the surrounding area. A “mountain range” is a chain of mountains that are located close together.
Use this document How Mountains Are Formed and the links below to learn more about the mountains of our world!
- Rocky Mountain Facts for Kids: https://kids.kiddle.co/Rocky_Mountains
- Britannica Kids – Rocky Mountains: https://kids.britannica.com/kids/article/Alps-The/346078
- Appalachian Mountains Facts for Kids: https://kids.kiddle.co/Appalachian_Mountains
- Britannica Kids – Appalachian Mountains: https://kids.britannica.com/kids/article/Appalachian-Mountains/346081
- Andes Facts for Kids: https://kids.kiddle.co/Andes
- Britannica Kids – Andes: https://kids.britannica.com/kids/article/Andes/346080
- Alps Facts for Kids: https://kids.kiddle.co/Alps
- Britannica Kids – The Alps: https://kids.britannica.com/kids/article/Alps-The/346078
- Alpine Biomes: http://kids.nceas.ucsb.edu/biomes/alpine.html
- Himalayan Mountains: https://kids.britannica.com/kids/article/Himalayas/346140
- Himalayas Facts for Kids: https://kids.kiddle.co/Himalayas
- PBS Himalayas Facts: https://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/the-himalayas-himalayas-facts/6341/
Watch & Learn
- NASA’s SpacePlace “Tectonic Forces”: https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/tectonics-snap/en/
- Types of Mountains and How They Are Formed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaaWoqlv9no
- Harvard Museum of Natural History – How Are Mountains Made? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r826YZVr-fQ
- SciShow Kids – Make Your Own Mountain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioqGcV1rS1g
- Exploring Earth – Paper Mountains: https://www.nisenet.org/catalog/exploring-earth-paper-mountains
- Edible Mountain Building Tectonic Plates Experiment for Kids: https://rainydaymum.co.uk/edible-science-mountain-building-plate-tectonics-experiment/
Fun Activities (coloring pages, word searches, etc.)
- Coloring pages:
- Mountain Maze: https://www.education.com/worksheet/article/mountain-scene/
- Mountain Word Search: https://thewordsearch.com/puzzle/3853419/mountains-of-the-world/
- Origami paper mountain craft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olAx2ZzdWPc
- Torn Paper Mountains: https://www.3dinosaurs.com/wordpress/index.php/torn-paper-mountains/