Navy noodles (makaroni po-flotsky)
- 1 lb wide short egg noodles
- 1-1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Rinse thoroughly with cold water, drain, and set aside.
- Warm butter and 3 tbsp of vegetable oil in a skillet and saute onions and garlic until golden-brown, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Warm remaining oil in the skillet, add ground beef, and brown thoroughly, about 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly, then process the beef or put it through a meat grinder.
- Combine noodles with onions and meat.
- Season with salt and pepper.