Grandpa had a big garden at his house in Stratford where he grew lots of vegetables. Grandma used this recipe to make eggplant to have throughout the year and give as gifts.
- 6-8 eggplants peeled and thinly sliced into circles
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 3 cups olive oil approx. enough to completely cover eggplant
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 3 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- 3 canning jars 500 ml
- Put peeled, sliced eggplant into a crock pot, with a thin layer of salt between layers. Weigh it down with a heavy bowl or plate between layers, and a heavy jar (such as olive oil) on top of that, and let it sit a few hours.
- Squeeze all water out and drain, then squeeze and drain again. Cut into thin strips like matchsticks.
- Put eggplant in a bowl and pour vinegar over it. Leave about 5-10 minutes until eggplant turns white. Take out of vinegar and squeeze.
- In a large bowl, mix eggplant, pepper, garlic, and oregano.
- Put eggplant mixture in jars, leaving about an inch on the top, and fill with oil. Keep checking that the eggplant is covered with oil.
- Make sure the bubbles have come to the top before covering the jar. Cover jars and let sit 24 hours before serving.