Poulet Rouleau avec Gruyere, Bearnaise et Champgnons
Rolled Fried Chicken around Gruyere coated with Mushrooms and Bearnaise sauceuyere. Had it in France 51 years ago on our [Barbara] Honeymoon and have made it ever since. Have shared my recipe/version many times over the years.
- Large 12" frying pan
- 12" x 8"" baking pan
- large piece of Aluminum foil
- Canola/Safflower oil
- Large piece of towel paper
- 4 thick cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts/sliced in half to make 8 thin slice pieces.
- 1 to 1 ½ cups of Panko seasoned crumbs [you can get GLUTEN FREE ones/4C] ground FINE in a cuisinart blender.
- 1 egg Mix
- ¼ cup Pinot Noir wine
- ⅓ cup milk stirred in a bowl
- 8 pieces Gruyere cheese cut into 3" by 1/2
- 1 package Bearnaise sauce
- 1 qt portobello mushrooms sliced, with three pats of butter
- Rinse 8 pieces of chicken breasts/pat dry. Place a piece of Gruyere strip in each piece of chicken and roll it tight.
- Dip each piece in egg/wine/milk mix, then dredge all over in Panko mix and set on laid out aluminum foil.
- Heat oil in frying pan to 185* then carefully
- place each piece of chicken, slightly apart from each other, in skillet and turn as each side becomes golden brown.
- Put each cooked piece on towel paper to drain excess oil.
- Lightly sautee the sliced mushrooms in the butter, wine and light amount of salt. Prepare the Bearnais sauce.
- Place a layer of the 8 pieces of rolled chicken in the baking pan, cover with Bearnaise sauce and top with layer of mushrooms.
- Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.
Side dishes of Caesar salad and Pomme Frittes make a great French dinner. Bon Appetit! Red or White Vin Sancerre goes wonderfully with this dinner.