Rabbit in Sour Cream
- 1 3- lb rabbit deboned and cut into 10-12 pieces
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cups sour cream
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 large bay leaf
- pinch of nutmeg
- ground black pepper
- Season the rabbit pieces with salt and pepper and fry in butter until a brownish-red crust forms (the meat does not have to be cooked through at this point).
- Remove from the pan and place on the bottom of a Dutch oven or a heavy casserole.
- Return the pan to the heat and saute the onions (adding more butter, if necessary), until they are tender and slightly golden, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the onions on paper towels and add to the rabbit.
- Whisk together sour cream, wine, and brandy.
- Pour over the rabbit and onions.
- Bring to a simmer and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add the bay leaf, cover, and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes.
- Serve with pan-fried potatoes.