Rich Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup Shortening
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Cream (half & half is fine; whole milk works in a pinch)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 3 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease or line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift or stir to combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and nutmeg.
- Set dry ingredients aside. In a mixing bowl, combine shortening, sugar and eggs.
- Cream until light and fluffy. Blend in cream, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients and mix slowly until combined (stir with a wooden spoon of your mixer can’t handle the cookie dough).
- Divide dough into thirds and make 3 balls. Roll each ball on a floured surface to approx. 1/4” thickness.
- Use your favorite cookie or biscuit cutters. Cookies may be decorated with sugar prior to baking. Place on cookie sheets, leaving 1” between cookies.
- Bake 5-7 minutes. Cookies will raise and are cake-like.