Russian Beef and Beet Soup (Borscht)
- 1 1 inch thick slice bone-in beef shank
- 3 quarts water
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups diced peeled beets
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- ¼ cup white vinegar or to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup sour cream for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill for garnish
- Cook beef shank in a large soup pot over high heat until browned, about 3 minutes per side; add water, onion, carrots, celery, and bay leaf to the pot, bring to a simmer and cook until meat is tender and falling off the bone, about 4 hours. Strain broth and discard solids.
- Combine beef broth, beets, and cabbage in a large soup pot; cook, stirring occasionally, until beets are tender, about 30 minutes. Reduce heat to low; add vinegar, salt, and black pepper.
- Serve garnished with sour cream and dill."