Aunt Shirley's Corn Custard
This is our favorite family recipe. I can't remember a Thanksgiving where it wasn't served with the turkey!
- 3 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- dash of pepper
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- ½ cup light cream
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 can 12 oz whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup cream-style corn undrained
- 3 eggs well beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 1 quart casserole.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan. Remove from heat.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and sugar until smooth.
- Blend in cream and milk.
- Cook, stirring over medium heat until mixture boils and is thickened and smooth.
- Stir corn into sauce until well combined.
- Thoroughly blend in eggs.
- Turn mixture into prepared casserole.
- Set aside in pan containing 2 inches hot water.
- Bake, in water, uncovered, 90 minutes or until silver knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serves 6 to 8.