Cold Beet Soup (Cold Borscht)
- 3 beets with leaves and stems - beets peeled and chopped leaves sliced
- water to cover
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 small cucumber grated
- 1 hard-cooked egg chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh dill
- 3 small green onions thinly sliced
- 1 pint buttermilk
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅓ lemon juiced
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cover beets with water in a pot and bring to a boil; cook until tender about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in chicken stock. Allow beets to cool.
- Mix cucumber, egg, dill, and green onions in a bowl. Whisk buttermilk and sour cream until smooth in another bowl. Stir egg mixture and buttermilk mixture into cooled beets. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.