Classic Potato Latkes
- 2 eggs beaten
- 4 medium russet potatoes about 8 ounces each peeled and sshredded
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, flour, onion, salt, and pepper, stirring to blend.
- Using your hands, squeeze out as much liquid as you can from the potatoes. Then add the shredded potatoes to the egg mixture, mixing well. In a large frying pan, heat some of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Spoon the batter by quarter-cupfuls onto the skillet, flattening them slightly.
- Fry until the bottoms are nicely browned-between 3 and 5 minutes; flip the pancakes and cook for about 3 minutes longer.
- Repeat for the remaining pancakes, adding oil to the pan as needed. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately with sour cream or applesauce.
- Makes about 12 pancakes; you can use less batter for each pancake and make smaller latkes!