Creme Brulee French Toast
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup backed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. corn syrup
- 1 long loaf French bread
- 5 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. Grand Marnier or orange juice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. orange zest
- In a heavy sauce pan, melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup over moderate heat, stirring until smooth and pour into 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Cut bread into 20 1"" slices. Arrange bread slices in one layer in baking dish on top of the sugar mixture, squeezing them slightly to fit.
- In a bowl whisk together eggs, half and half, vanilla, Grand Marnier, salt and orange zest until well combined. Pour evenly over bread.
- Chill bread mixture, covered at least 8 hours and up to one day.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bring bread to room temperature. Bake uncovered in middle of oven until puffed and edges are pale golden, 35-40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon (my preference), or powdered sugar.