This recipe was from my nutrition instructor when I was in nursing school. I had also given her one of my recipes. We kept in touch long after she retired. Whenever we made each other's recipe, we would call each other. I told her that many people had asked for the recipe. She was so happy that this, her mother's recipe would be passed on.
- 6 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- Dash salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup nuts finely chopped
- 1 grated lemon rind
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ⅓ cup sugar-mixed well
- Mix softened butter/margarine with sugar until well mixed.
- Add and mix the remaining ingredients in order.
- Bake in a greased loaf pan at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until done.
- Immediately after taking out of the oven, pierce top several times and pour over-juice of one lemon and 1/3 Cup sugar (which has been stirred to combine).
- Let stand overnight if possible. Remove from pan and slice.