Noodles and Cabbage
This is a favorite Eastern European (Slovak. Polish, Hungarian etc.) staple dish. This is how my grandmother made this but many people have other individual variations. This is a favorite food item at ethnic church fairs or suppers.
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 pkg wide noodles or homemade noodles*
- 4 Tbsp of unsalted butter or as needed
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper or to taste
- ¼ cup dehydrated onions-or frozen/fresh
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp of water or enough to make a stiff dough
- Shred cabbage in food processor or grater
- Sauté’ cabbage, salt, pepper and onion in butter until brown
- Mix dough well-can use food processor until stiff and not sticky.
- Roll out dough on floured board. Cut with knife into thin slices(desired width). desired width.
- Cook noodles in boiling water for about 3- 5 minutes.
- Rinse in cold water and drain noodles. Add 1 tbsp. of butter, and salt and pepper to taste
- Add cabbage and mix well; serve warm