Russian Carrot Salad (Korean-Style)
- 1 pound carrots peeled and julienned (preferably with a mandoline)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ onion minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place carrots in a large bowl. Sprinkle garlic over carrots.
- Mix vinegar, sugar, and salt together in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in hot oil until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir coriander and cayenne pepper into the onion; add to carrot mixture and toss. Pour vinegar dressing over carrot mixture; toss to coat.
- Transfer carrot salad to a dish with a tight-fitting lid, cover, and refrigerate 4 to 24 hours, tossing salad several times while it marinates.