- 2 small beets peeled and coarsely grated
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or as needed
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrot coarsely grated
- 8 cups water
- ¼ medium head cabbage shredded
- ¾ cup dry yellow lentils
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Combine beets and vinegar in a small frying pan over low heat. Cook, while stirring, until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over low heat while beets are cooking. Add onion and stir for 2 minutes. Add carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In the meantime, bring water to a simmer in a large saucepan. Add cabbage and lentils. Cook for 10 minutes. Add potatoes and cook for 10 minutes more. Stir in cooked beets and onion-carrot mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomato paste and simmer until all vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes more. Serve with sour cream and dill."