Baked sole in sour cream sauce
- 2 lb filet of lemon sole cut into portion-sized pieces
- 2 lb potatoes peeled and sliced into rounds approximately 1/5 inch thick
- ½ lb button mushrooms sliced
- 3 hard-boiled eggs sliced into rounds
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 tbsp minced dill
- all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Gently heat sour cream in a small casserole and keep at a simmer.
- Make roux by melting 1 tbsp butter over medium heat and sifting 1 tbsp flour over it. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is a deep-golden color. Whisk the roux into sour cream, season with salt, and simmer for 1 minute. Cover the sauce and set aside.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a skillet. Season the filets with salt and pepper. Roll in flour.
- Fry the fish pieces in butter until golden-brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- Saute mushrooms in 1 tbsp butter until they have reabsorbed their liquid, about 2 minutes.
- Separately, skillet-fry potatoes in vegetable oil until slightly crispy on the outside, but slightly undercooked on the interior. Drain on paper towels.
- Arrange the fish pieces on the bottom of a braiser. Top each piece with egg rounds and mushrooms. Arrange potatoes between and around the fish pieces.
- Pour the sour cream sauce over the fish and potatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with dill and serve.