Mulligan's Reuben Soup
2nd Place Winner at SoupStock 2011, adapted from a French recipe in the New York Times.
- 1 lb kielbasa
- 1 large head of cabbage finely shredded
- 6 oz bacon chopped
- 2 Large onions chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 3 Medium potatoes chopped
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Caraway & black pepper ground (to taste)
- Dill to taste
- Cook bacon and kielbasa in a large heavy pot until bacon is crisp.
- Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Stir in flour until blended.
- Add broth.
- Add vegetables and seasonings and cook until vegetables are almost soft.
- Add vinegar and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cream and cook another 5 minutes.