Russian Yeast Dough
- 2 cups lukewarm milk
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 ounce fresh yeast
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour or more as needed
- 4 eggs divided
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- ⅔ cup melted butter
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Combine lukewarm milk and 2 tablespoons sugar in a large bowl and stir to dissolve sugar. Mix 3 tablespoons flour with fresh yeast in a small bowl and add to milk mixture. Let rest in a warm place until mixture is frothy, 15 to 30 minutes.
- Beat 3 eggs and 3 tablespoons sugar together in a small bowl. Add to the yeast mixture; stir in melted butter. Add 8 cups flour and salt. Mix until well combined and a soft dough forms; no kneading is necessary.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.
- Punch down dough. Cover and let rise until doubled in volume once again, about 40 minutes.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 24 equal pieces, or according to your preferred pirozhki recipe, and form into rolls. Place rolls on a lightly greased baking sheet. Beat the remaining egg in a small bowl and glaze rolls with the beaten egg. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rest, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Uncover and bake rolls in the preheated oven until golden, about 15 minutes.